Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 5, 2011

"Keeping in step with the challenges of times"


Having mental illness is the most intensive personal illness there is, because it invalidates the sufferer of any sense of self-worth or self-esteem. It denies the sufferer his or her self and each case is different because it afflicts the unique mind of an individual.

I wonder…….. how can a person with mental illness,, keep up with the REAL challenges of times?

In my experience, one of the important thing is to survive the challenge or stigma of having a mental illness. It is high time people strip away the myths surrounding mental illness. The myth that someone afflicted is somehow guilty and deserving of the punishment. The myth that someone has it is merely just a lack of faith or a curse in the family.

As a patient with Bipolar, my main problem lies in my inability to cope with routine affairs. It seems like I am being robbed with my sense of the past and the hope of a future. I am very tired and restless. Bit by bit I feel slipping from myself. My nightmares and dreams becomes the reality. My condition is an attenuated present which seems incapable of changing. I was lonely and alone. For me, there is no safe passages so I avoided seeking help. I tend to think that if I hold on everything will be alright. I fought back believing I can regain myself by my own strength. But I do not have the strength. By this I really need my family or someone to understand and assist me in the healing process which for long has not been dealt with an open mind and compassionate way.

Mental illness is a mystery to the sufferer. It is unique to each person who has it.

Along with these challenges and mysteries comes the gift, like medicines and psychosocial care. Medicines are a blessing, a means of God’s effective healing. Psychosocial care is also a blessing, a man’s genuine contribution to mental health.   I am able to know myself better through talk therapy and psycho-education therapies. They are teaching me ways to regain myself by involving in activities like group dynamics and task oriented activities. They are teaching me to be independent, to be able to exude my creativity through arts and crafts. I found out that I am not really alone after all… Because I have my social workers who are very helpful, therapists who are very patient and understanding, and my co-clients whom I considered my new family.

Mental illness is a challenge by itself . I can say that  persons with Bipolar can keep up with the challenges of times because it is by having this suffering in our life is how we can learn compassion. We are very fortunate because we can avail psychosocial care.  We now have the hope that our mental illness can be treated and cured by doctors, therapists, social workers, professionals, medicines and of course divine help.


By: Ces – (Gold medal on WAPR 2006 essay writing contest, topic:
                  "Keeping in step with the challenges of times")


 

No comments:

Post a Comment